Ohio Mutual Insurance Group is seeking an experienced Senior Accountant with strong Financial Accounting and Financial Reporting expertise. The ideal candidate will have 5-10 years experience, preferably in the property and casualty insurance industry. Candidates possessing a CPA are desired. Candidates must also possess strong time management, communication, and organizational skills in order to meet required deadlines and perform in a team environment.
Applies principles of accounting and statistical analysis to maintain the Company's financial accounting records and systems. Assists the Financial Controller in ensuring the timely, accurate publication of financial statements and related management reports.
1. Prepares journal entries for business transactions of assigned accounts, compiles results and reconciles balances of various accounts regularly.
2. Gathers data and performs complex calculations in order to prepare a variety of recurring financial statements and underlying work papers.
3. Performs a variety of activities related to financials, including monitoring general ledger accounts, maintenance of tax work papers, tracking and verifying investment activity, fixed assets and reinsurance, transferring monies between funds, and training accountants on various work papers and procedures.
4. Prepares and verifies financial reports for internal use, management review, and submission to regulatory agencies.
5. Assists outside auditors and Insurance Department examiners with periodic audits.
6. Researches, compiles, and develops special projects as requested or required.
7. Assists Financial Controller in acting as a liaison with the investment accounting managers for all investment accounting duties and responsibilities. The Senior Accountant must have a current knowledge of investment rules and procedures for proper financial presentation.
8. Assists the Financial Controller in functions supporting cash management. Assists in developing and maintaining reports depicting cash flows and the recommending of amounts available for short and long term investment.
9. Works with outside vendors, brokers and other contacts to gather and verify accounting related information and to address questions.
10. Performs other functions assigned to position to ensure effective and smooth continuity of operations and transactions in the best company interest.
1. Maintains a thorough understanding of current statutory and GAAP accounting rules and procedures and their proper application.
2. Assists with the review, testing, and implementation of new accounting systems and software.
3. Maintains knowledge of current trends and development in the accounting field.
1. Bachelors degree in Accounting. CPA preferred.
2. 5-10 years of previous accounting experience, preferably in the P&C industry.
3. Strong analytical skills; is detail-oriented and accurate with numbers.
4. PC aptitude and worked knowledge of computer-based accounting systems and other business applications; advanced computer skills in use of spreadsheets preferred.
5. Competent with business office equipment.
6. Must have strong listening and communication skills - both written and verbal.
7. Ability to deal frequently with employees outside the department, Federal and State Government agencies, Departments of Insurance, reinsurers, auditors and banks.
1. Sitting for extended periods of time.
2. Normal office working conditions.
3. Extended use of computer and associated eye strain and fatigue.
Limited supervision with choice in selection, development, and coordination of methods to use; may occasionally develop own methods to perform work.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements.
United Ohio Insurance Company is an equal opportunity employer. United Ohio Insurance Company will comply with any legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodation to otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities.
About Ohio Mutual Insurance Group
Ohio Mutual Insurance Group (OMIG) traces its roots to 1901, when the Ohio Mutual Tornado, Cyclone, and Windstorm Insurance Association began providing insurance to property owners across Ohio.
Today, with more than a century of successful history behind us, we retain the small-town location and values upon which we were founded, while offering a broad array of industry-leading products and cutting-edge technology that positions us to be a leader in the property and casualty insurance industry for many years to come. While our location and values have remained consistent over our past century in business, we now offer a full-line of personal and commercial insurance products that are marketed through a network of carefully-selected independent insurance agent partners. The 2010 acquisition of Maine-based Casco Indemnity and establishment of a New England Regional Office added additional capacity for growth and diversification.
Based in Bucyrus, Ohio, OMIG writes more than $220 million in premiums each year – covering homes, autos, farms, and commercial properties in seven states. We maintain the prestigious “A” Excellent rating from A.M. Best, and were named in 2009 - 2013 am...ong the top 50 insurers in the country by Ward Group – recognizing our outstanding operating performance, capitalization, underwriting expertise, and prudent investment strategy.
In addition, the nation’s largest association of independent insurance agents in 2009 honored Ohio Mutual as its company of the year, awarding it the coveted National Company Award of Excellence. Independent agents in Ohio have rated us several times among the top three companies in the state with which to do business. These ratings and awards reflect the efforts of our agent partners, more than 230 dedicated associates, and a stable, experienced, and forward-thinking management team. Our financial performance is among the best in the country – consistently outperforming many of our competitors in the property and casualty insurance industry.
We recognize the value of leveraging technology. Our award-winning e-Quip'd® agency interface tool allows our agent partners to accurately quote business in their offices and to print the policy while the customer is present. Our next generation of technological innovation features the introduction of our industry-leading 360access® tool that allows policyholders 24/7 access to their policy information, and our mobile apps: [IN]STANT® and [IN]STANT ESTIMATOR. This kind of technology enables us to maintain a competitive edge within our industry, and to maintain the personalized service and relationships that our policyholders appreciate.
Ohio Mutual Insurance Group is an organization that is deeply anchored in its history and traditional core values, while embracing the tactics and tools necessary to successfully advance into a dynamic and profitable future.