Organization:CF-Office of the Chief Financial Office (OCFO)
Berkeley Lab is Bringing Science Solutions to the World, and YOU can be a part of it as a Senior Accounting Manager!
Berkeley Lab’s Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO,http://www2.lbl.gov/Workplace/CFO/) is looking for a Senior Accounting Manager to join their dynamic leadership team in the Controller’s Office (http://cfo.lbl.gov/co/index.html)!Reporting the the Lab’s Controller, you will be responsible for the daily operations, oversight, and accountability of multiple business units.These units will focus on meeting the external reporting and compliance requirements and expectations of the Department of Energy (DOE, https://www.energy.gov/) and University of California (UC, https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/).Additionally, you will have direct management and oversight of approximately 20 exempt and non-exempt level professionals at various skill levels; with direct reports at the Manager I level.
What You Will Do:
• Serve as a member of the Controller’s Office Leadership Team.
• Lead, manage, develop, and mentor a team of approximately 20 exempt and non-exempt level financial professionals.
• Responsible for the daily operations and oversight of one or more of the Controller’s Office business units, with functions that may include Payroll, Accounts Payable, Travel, General Accounting, Banking, Taxes, Financial Compliance, Conference Services, and financial and accounting support for the Innovation and Partnerships Office.
• Responsible for the management and ownership of all policies, process, and technologies.
• Responsible for oversight and accountability for various functions with a focus on ensuring appropriate levels of internal customer support, compliance to DOE regulations and requirements, external reporting, compliance requirements and expectations of UC.
• Responsible for identification and resolution of policy, processes and/or reporting issues, where analysis requires an in-depth knowledge of organizational objectives.
• Build and maintain effective and productive partnerships, internally and externally to the Laboratory.
• Provide leadership or participation on various project teams as the subject matter expert for the Controller’s Office.
• Provide assistance to the Controller and other Managers in a leadership role, as required.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please apply by close of business on May 25, 2018.
• This is a full time career appointment.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work may be performed at the following locations:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
- Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) — Bldg. 971, 6401 Hollis St., Emeryville CA
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=131238 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
The vision of the Office of the Chief Financial Office (OCFO, https://cfo.dc.gov/) is to enable scientific discovery by providing leadership, excellent services, and responsive solutions to its Laboratory partners.The OCFO seeks applicants with initiative and focus who thrive in a challenging and dynamic environment and who want to positively impact the Lab's scientific mission.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities.To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab, visit https://commons.lbl.gov/display/hr/Benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".
What We’re Looking For:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or related field and a minimum of 8 years of related experience managing and leading multiple major financial operations functional areas or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Comprehensive knowledge, demonstrated understanding, and experience with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), financial statement preparation and analysis, IRS and California state tax regulations, ancillary accounting processes, banking and cash management, ERP accounting systems, audits, and financial compliance.
• Proven ability to ensure compliance while maintaining a focus on customer service and supporting the mission needs of the organization.
• Experience working with and reporting from an enterprise financial/reporting system such as Oracle or PeopleSoft general ledger and project costing subledger.
• Demonstrated leadership responsibilities to have included people, policies, processes and technologies.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and manage a sizeable financial unit.
• Demonstrated expertise in written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to effectively explain, negotiate, persuade and build consensus among diverse stakeholders.
• Demonstrated expertise in relationship building and management with the ability to establish and maintain strong and effective working relationships with a broad cross-section of senior management and managerial personnel, both internal and external to the organization.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• Comprehensive knowledge and demonstrated understanding of financial services operations in the federal contractor or management and operating laboratory environment.
• MBA or CPA.
• Background in R&D environment dealing with federally funded sponsors, such as, the Department of Energy (DOE).
• Experience working with DOE and/or University of California (UC) financial and business operations policies and procedures, with a focus on Travel and Work for Others in the DOE environment.